Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What I did on my Chuseok vacation...

I had a pretty eventful long weekend.

Friday evening - see previous post and I went on a "blind" date with Kay, a girl who went to IU and knows Margaret, Annie and Laura...she lives about 20 mins. from me...small world....

Saturday - spent most of the day "nesting" in the apartment. Read down by the lake and then went to a "Prom Party" hosted by one of my co-workers sister's apartment. Good times...



Sunday - Lotte World = a smaller ripe off of Disney world. $30 for a day of rides and general craziness. I would say that the Gyro Drop and two other rides outside are worth it, but it's not a place I really feel the need to go back to though. But there are certainly more highlights from the day.....


Baseball -Dosan Bears beat the Kia Tigers 12-2 in two and half hours...close to a record for the shortest game of Korean baseball ever. Plus the cheerleaders wore hanbok!

But I would have to say that the highlight of the day was the fact that I got to barrow a friend's bike and ride it around all day. After payday at the end of the month I'm getting my own for sure. I even rode tandem on the way home from the baseball game because not everyone we were with had a bike with them. This is Yan. He told me he knew what he was doing and I trusted him, but he certainly took every opportunity he had to mess with me while I was on the back of that thing. Defiantly not my preferred mode of transportation...I basically feared for my life most of the time.
But Monday was the real highlight. I went to Bukhansan National Park and did the Dobongsan hike. We made it to the Jaunbong pike which is 739 meters up (2,245 feet). It took about 2 hours to get up and was much more intense then any of us had expected. To say I feared for my life on the bike the day before is a slight exaggeration....but for this particular situation it's completely true. Plenty of beautiful pictures were taken, but I still have to steal them from Kyle's camera. Here are a few teasers...

















keep in mind that I went with Krystal and Kyle...everyone else in these pictures are just other hikers. I felt like a herd of cattle sometimes! But I still loved every second. I'm going to become a routine hiker for sure.

No comments: