Saturday, September 13, 2008

I guess I don't speak Canadian yet, eh?

I had a pretty hilarious little run in with my co-workers yesterday after school.

We ended up sitting outside of Rodeo (as usual) because we just didn't really want to go home right away and Kyle brought his yut set for us to play. Yut is another game we learned for Chuesok. Check this out if you want to know more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yut

As Kyle was explaining the rules of the game it accrued to me that it's very similar to the board game Sorry! from home because when you land on a space your opponent is on you knock them off the board. So I make the comment out loud "So it's like Sorry!" and I got a generic "yeah" response from the table and I thought they knew what I was talking about. A minute later Krystal stops and says, "Oh wait you meant the game Sorry!" (pronounced soary). With that Kyle and Maranda understood...only Carolyn knew what I said originally, but she is from New Finland and sounds like a New Yorker, so her accent's all messed up. The way I said sorry they thought I was talking about the type of Indian clothing (sari). Krystal had just spent a minute picturing me playing dress up in a sari and tried to relate it to the game we were playing. I found this to be absolutely hilarious.

Playing the game was also tons of fun. We attracted the attention of some of the locals and received help with the rules from an older gentlemen who didn't speak any English. It was awesome.

1 comment:

Domo B said...

just be sure to tell your canadian friends that you lived with a "MALI" junior year and that you love CALIflower.

hehe, love the updates, you!

tomorrow is stef's shower. it is CRAZY raining here, most streets in my town are flooded. i hope that she has a nice day tomorrow for the shower, but hey, it's inside anyway.

love ya!