Monday, March 2, 2009

6 months!

Wow.

I have been anticipating this day since I got here. March marks the start of a new school year, bringing new students, new class curriculum, a new classroom and 6 new co-workers along with the lose of 4 vets. Kyle and Krystle have run off to India together, Heather is going back to school in Canada and Breanne is back in the states to hang out until she goes off to San Fran for school in the fall. Work was so surreal today. Everything just keeps pushing forward without too much fanfare at work. I think the turnover still hasn't really sunk in. It was really bizarre to be one of the go-to people for all the newbie question. I'm trying my best to do Kyle and Krystal proud because I really feel like they were kind of my mentors. It help that all the newbies are pretty cool and I genuinely want to get to know them and help them out. I should elaborate on all of them now, because it will hilarious to look back at my first impressions of them later, but I just don't have the energy now.

First day of class was relatively successful. Since I was going in expecting a total stressful disaster of a day the issues that did arise didn't seem too bad. One girl cried so much I had to carry her on my hip for the last 10 mins of class right before lunch. By the end of lunch she was sleep in the helper teacher's room and her grandfather came to pick her up. He ended up sitting in the classroom with her on his lap the rest of the day. Then I had a little boy next to him fall alseep. No biggy really.

Pictures to follow soon.

No comments: