Thursday, February 19, 2009

Highly Inappropriate

And I mean that...if you have delicate nature or are easily offended you may want to stop reading, but this is just too good not to share.

Long story short, our boss took us to a strip club tonight. It's not as bad as it sounds, but that is the gist of the situation.

We had our big going away dinner for the 4 English staff members that are leaving at the end of next week. Dinners almost always lead to a noraebong (private karaoke rooms), except this time our principle took us to more of a club with one stage in a large room. I felt like I was walking into a strip club in Vegas in the 60's with the weird lighting and big chairs around many different mini-bars. I thought I was about to sit down and play black jack while watching a show. There was rumors of the possibility of nude dancing going down as we entered the place, but most of the night's entertainment was just the patrons getting up to sing their selected songs. Then there was one break from the amateur hour in which a young woman came out in traditional handbok and a drum and did a traditional dance (as far as I could tell). One thing that should be made clear is that I was there with all my co-workers: 11 English teachers (only 2 males) and 7 Korean staff, all women, half of which don't really speak English. So as this girl comes out there is a lot of whispering around the table, and the Korean woman are nudging us and pretending to take of their coats as a sign of what's to come. We were all just kind of sitting around waiting to see if this was really going to happen or not. It did. Not too big of a deal really. Our table was in the back of the room, so we didn't really see much of "the show". Some of the people in our group left without ever knowing there was a girl dancing topless for a brief moment. But it was especially entertaining watching the Korean staff, because they were just as uncomfortable and confused by the situation as we were. I don't get my boss (a Korean woman in her 60). Is she just trying to seem cool? I'm not even going to pretend to be able to figure out the logic here, I'm just happy I can now say "I've had my boss take me to a strip club", because that's priceless.

No comments: