Monday, January 4, 2010

Malaysia: Truly Asia

I didn't realize what I was getting into. Honestly, I decided to go to Malaysia because Megan could get a lay over there on her way to Australia. She didn't end up going to Australia, but we still ended up in Malaysia with Kelly, Leah and Meaghan in tow. I was anticipating a similar experience to the one I had in Indonesia, simply because of it's proximity, but I was way off.

Major observations:

* It's a predominately Muslim country. Many women wore khimār or shaylah (a scarf or cowl that covers all but the face). I saw a few in full on burka.

* I was surprised to see such a strong influence of the Chinese and Indian populations. We saw a lot of Chinese temples and ate a lot of Indian food. I felt like I was walking through the World Showcase in Epcot sometimes. According to Wiki the country's ethnic make up is 54% Malay, 25% Chinese, 7.5% Indian, 13.5% other.

*Everyone likes to celebrate Christmas, even the Muslims and the Hindus.

* In general, the locals are extremely kind and welcoming. Just like Indonesians. <3

* Every person I talked to spoke perfect English.

* Europeans are such interesting travelers. You can met some seriously interesting people in hostels.

* The bus system is not as well marked as one would hope. It made for some interesting walks in Kuala Lumpur, but it Georgetown it was more like hailing a cab.

Things we saw:
* Batu Caves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batu_Caves
- We witnessed a sacred Hindu ceremony, got a bindi put on our forhead by a monk and ate my first meal on a banana leaf.
*
Petronas Twin Towers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petronas_towers
- We walked across town, got stuck in the rain and then could go up in to the bridge because tickets for the day were sold out.
* Taman Negara http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Negara_National_Park
- Spent three days and two nights in the oldest (and most tourist friendly) rain forest in the world with a couple of deaf Italians. Made for a very interesting experience.
* Snake Temple http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Temple
-
At first I was mad because I thought that all the pit vipers were fake, but when we finally saw one move I was more content. I also held my first snake.

No comments: