Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Groceries

I know this is not all that exciting, but sometimes it's the everyday stuff that is what is really interesting. This is not one of those cases....but I still want you think that it could be.

Now that I've been here for three months (92 days..yikes!) I'm already falling into a slump of a comfort zone. One effort to keep things fresh is buying one new thing every time I go to the grocery store. So far the big winner is a honey ginger tea. Sadly, I can't credit my "sense of adventure" on this find, people were drinking it at school. I still count it though. Basically it's just a jar of honey with ginger chopped up in it. You just spoon some into a cup and add hot water. Careful not to swallow the big bits of ginger! One of the Korean helper teachers also made a similar tea, but with apples. Good stuff. I'm thinking there is a little more to it then just putting the ingredient in the honey, not totally sure though. So is this a Korean thing or are people at home drinking this and I just didn't know about it?

Other winners so far: frozen won tons, candied peanuts, "cupcakes" that were more like sponge cake

Also, the grocery store that I go to most often for milk and produce is pretty small and I'm in there probably two times a week. I can't imagine what the people that work there think of me, but today when I checked out with two types of cereal the guy at the cash register told me I had too much. He was just teasing, but I'm sure he sees me as a walking stereotype...at least I didn't buy any cheese along with all my cereal!

Last "interesting" tidbit about grocery shopping: In the smaller stores you have to pay for the plastic bags to take your stuff home. You also do all the bagging yourself. And true to Korean form, there is very little concern for personal space in line. Last time I was there I was unloading the small basket I had of items and the cashier had already started to ring up my food. A guy came up with three things and stood in front of me and put his things down! He was totally aware that I was in the middle of checking out too...unbelievable.

No comments: