Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wandering Observations 2

What better way to spend a lazy Sunday morning then sharing gross generalizations about the Korean culture? Here we go:

1. Boyfriends are whipped! (Wha-pah!!!)
This statement is based on a few observations:
a) They are often found carrying a girl's purse on their shoulder even though the bag is small and girly and the lady friend is walking with him with nothing in her hands.
b) They are easily persuaded into what we have deemed as "couple dressing". On the weekends it's easy to spot couples out on dates because they are dressed exactly the same. Minimally it requires his/hers shirts and similar pants, but sometimes you get matching hats too. The truly dedicated are identical down to the shoes. At Lotte World (the Disney World rip off) they sell little animal ears and couples would be wearing the same ear headbands. What I really want to know is who is initiating this dressing the phenomenon....for all I know the guy calls his gf and says "I'm taking you to Lotte World today. Wear your red polo shirt, dark jeans and pumas."

2. They are very skin contentious/ afraid of the sun here.
When hiking the women's skin is always completely covered, no matter how hot it is outside. It is very common for them to wear gloves while they are out walking around. I believe I have already mentioned the visor situation, but they are really crazy. We had a party this weekend where everyone wore one...pictures will be posted soon. The visors really are incredible....

3. Along the same line....they love to exfoliate.
I had my first trip to the jjimjilbang (bath house) and it's now one of my favorite places. The place I went was a women only house (but they can be co-ed) and really was one big room with showers, 4 hot tubs of varying temperatures and "treatments" in them, two different saunas (dry and damp), a cold pool and scrubbing stations. Yes, scrubbing stations. The general protocol is when you walk in you shower to get all the dirty off your body (and they women do a pretty serious and graphic job of washing off before getting in the pools). You sit in what ever pool you want for awhile and then when your skin is ready you go to a scrubbing station which consists of a short stool, basin of water, removable shower head, soap and a mirror. You bring your own scrubbing cloth and you sit down and go at it. I swear these women would sit there for 30 mins and scrubbing their skin. Usually you sit next to a friend and talk the whole time and help scrub each other's backs. I spent an hour and a half in this room and it was magical. Next time I plan on getting an hour and forty five minute massage...can't wait!

On an other note, I finally met up with Laura (my old roommate Emily's friend who's been living here for almost two years and talked me through some stuff before I came over here). I went out with her and Key for dinner and general wondering around the Sangsu stop. We ended up at a place called Dr. Fish (or something like that). It's a coffee shop, but the main attraction is the pools of fish that like to eat dead skin. While you enjoy your drink you sit with your feet in the water and have fish nibble on you. It was messed up, and I loved every minute of it. I'm just sorry I didn't have my camera with me to take a picture.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Johnson, just wanted to let you know that I've enjoyed reading your blog stuff while I'm at work. Hope you're having a great time, kickball team misses you.
J Holland